PGF
Triple Crown Sports
More
High School
College
Kansas City Area, St. Joseph, Lawrence

Latest Kansas City, Missouri, weather

Go Back   KC Fastpitch > Discussion Forums > Recruiting Discussions

Tournament HQ: MSP ASA HV/OGSA MSP "C" VIP "C" R-ASA PGF Top Gun Indoor Specialty MO HS

» Sponsors

Softball Sales

Easton Softball
Rawlings Custom Gloves
Free Shipping on all orders over $99 Softball.com

Old 01-08-2017   #1
coachterry

coachterry

Default UPDATE Jan 21st Pitcher / Catcher Combine

Hello Coaches,
You may remember reading posts I've submitted on KCFASTPITCH regarding college recruiting. Over three weeks in January 2016, camps that I organized and/or promoted brought coaches from 20 schools to teach, evaluate and scout area fastpitch players seeking a dream of playing college softball. These camps were praised by players, parents and coaches as well planned and conducted.

This year, in response to conversations I've had with coaches, I decided to offer a specialized pitcher / catcher combine on Saturday January 21st at Players Paradise in Raytown, MO.

I am inviting D2 and NAIA coaches to this camp. I understand that Top Gun is conducting an event up in St. Joseph on Jan 21&22. I've been told by more than one coach that they could stop by our camp before going up to St. Joseph to watch the Top Gun games.

This camp is designed for pitchers and catchers that are not able to play with teams that are participating in the Top Gun event. I will send complete player information to all of the colleges in my database as well as video clips from players that provide permission.

The pitching part of the camp will focus on drills and techniques to teach velocity mechanics and spin rate:
- explosive drive off of the rubber
- increasing stride length without compromising control
- enhancing the arm path to produce the most explosive internal rotation possible
- aggressive front foot plant coupled with hip rotation to transfer momentum
- understanding illegal pitches (crow hop, heel rock, double plant, leap) as umpires in college call illegal pitches more than high school and travel team ball
- techniques, pitch grips and drills to enhance spin rate and spin plane for maximum movement

The catching part of the camp will focus on:
- set-up and stance
- concealing pitch location
- receiving and framing with soft hands
- blocking and glove mechanics
- transition and footwork for throws to bases
- blocking for tag plays at the plate
- absorbing contact at the plate to avoid injury
- fielding bunts
- controlling your mask on pop-ups
- shovel feeds to pitcher covering home
- pitch strategies

Each pitcher will get opportunities to have their pitch velocity and spin rate recorded. College coaches will grade pitches for movement and location.

Each catcher will get opportunities to have their overhand velocity and POP times measured. There will also be an accuracy game for throws to bases and throws after fielding bunts.

In addition to the pitching and catching instruction, there will be a hitting segment to allow players to demonstrate their hitting facing live pitching with catchers. Each player will also have their escape velocity measured hitting off a tee.

As a final added benefit we will record video of each player, and with permission, will distribute the video files to college coaches that attended the camp and 50 other coaches that are in our database (representing D1, D2, NAIA, and JC institutions).

Coaches will be available after the camp to answer questions about the recruiting process and to provide information about their specific schools.

Camp Fee: $100
Location: Players Paradise - 9626 E MO350 Hwy - Raytown, MO 64133
Date and Time: Saturday January 21st from 9am to 1pm
Camp size: 40 players max to provide the best player/coach ratio possible

IMPORTANT: PITCHERS DO NOT NEED TO BRING A CATCHER... UNLESS THEY WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CATCHER'S PART OF THE CAMP.

For more information or to reserve your spot, contact Terry Harris via cell or text (816)797-0561 or email - harrishouse729@sbcglobal.net

The camp flyer is attached for you to forward to players that might be prospects for this unique showcase instructional camp.

To register, complete the player registration portion of the attached file, send it in with check to the address on the flyer. If you want to pay electronically, go to www.playersparadisekc.com and follow the instructions.

Thanks,
Terry Harris
harrishouse729@sbcglobal.net
816-797-0561

NOTE: As of today, we have 33 inquiries and 25 commitments. This camp will fill up this week, so if you are interested, please contact me or register.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017-CollegePitcherCatcherCombine.pdf (577.7 KB, 2 views)
coachterry is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
coachterry

coachterry

Default Pitcher Catcher Combine Recap

My thanks to Mike Spilker at Player's Paradise for providing tremendous support to host a unique Pitcher Catcher Instructional Combine this past Saturday.

Coaches providing instruction and evaluation were:
DII-Missouri Southern State-Chelsea Erickson (pitching)
DII-Pittsburgh State-Tom Royder (catching)
DII-Southwest Baptist-Jim Flora (catching)
DII-Truman State-Bailey Wittenauer (pitching)
NAIA-Benedictine-Dana Goss (pitching)
NAIA-Ottawa-Jay Kahnt (catching)

Due to the overwhelming response we had for this camp, we allowed 45 girls to register. Several girls were not able to attend due to sickness or injury. We collected data on every player in the camp (POP, Arm Velocity, Pitch Speeds and Spin Rate). We allowed every girl to hit live against a pitcher throwing to a catcher. Coaches provided ratings for various skills for each position and provided recommendations for improvement. We recorded video of every pitcher pitching, every hitter hitting and every catcher catching.

This data will be shared to each individual camper in a format that they can use for their own college recruiting efforts. Data from all of the campers (including links to the video clips) will be sent to our database of more than 50 schools in the region.

Campers that attended this camp, not only received valuable instruction from college coaches, but also will get an electronic introduction to more than 40 college coaches.

I want to thank each coach, player and parent who attended last Saturday. Based on the success of this event, expect another combine or two this coming summer.

Thanks again,
Terry Harris
College Sports Advisors
harrishouse729@sbcglobal.net
816-797-0561

Last edited by coachterry; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:05 PM. Reason: phrasing
coachterry is offline   Reply With Quote