PGF
Triple Crown Sports
More
High School
College
Kansas City Area, St. Joseph, Lawrence

Latest Kansas City, Missouri, weather

Go Back   KC Fastpitch > Discussion Forums > Tryout Discussions

Tournament HQ: MSP ASA HV/OGSA MSP "C" VIP "C" R-ASA PGF Top Gun Indoor Specialty MO HS

» Sponsors

Softball Sales

Easton Softball
Rawlings Custom Gloves
Free Shipping on all orders over $99 Softball.com

Old 06-30-2016   #31
in2win

in2win is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by infieldmom View Post
OK! Just want to get peoples opinion on teams that MAKE each and everyone of their players tryout every year. I personally don't like it and think it is wrong...that goes to show you that those coaches are only in it to win and don't really care about their returning players and only picked them up because they where either desperate or just wanted to see what kind of talent they had. If I was trying my daughter out for a team I would confront the coach right of the bat and ask him/her if my dd would have to tryout for the team AGAIN when the season ended. IMHO if they said yes I would stay clear of that team. They need to put themselves in that girls shoes and see how it would make them feel.

Tryouts can be very stressfull especially for the younger girls like 8's 10's and even 12's not saying it is not for the older girls but probably not as much. They need to consider this or just don't pick that girl up if they are not intending on keeping her for the next season to come.
That may work in California, Texas or Oklahoma but does not work to well in KC.
in2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #32
rzeller07

rzeller07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hechtiuhf"in2win;77094"
That may work in California, Texas or Oklahoma but doest not work to well in KC.
in ughiovyfghuhdilb
rzeller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #33
Lizard71

Lizard71 is on a distinguished road

This is only in my opinion on this subject. As a former player from the East coast I started at 6 until playing pro at 21. Mind you, back in the early 90's we did not have the social media and composite bats ( I wish we did!)... And we did not get paid but people paid to watch us. Getting to the level of play as I did I had 2 coaches.. Not including Allstars in which we all had to try out but the team changed every year. I considered myself very lucky with no 'team jumping'. It made me the confident woman I am today. Commitment is key here. I had those coaches I was committed to and they were to me. Out of 13 of us (at the end of HS) I believe 10 of us went on to full ride scholarships all up and down the coast. And yes, my childhood coaches came to watch me play. Winning is not everything. We thought the one coach was NUTS talking our parents into signing up for 18 AAA at the ages of 13 and 14. But the feeling left after 2 years playing at that level and beating those 18s when I was 16. By then we had girls begging to be on our team. Thing is... No opened spots bc we committed to our positions and working hard and we were blessed to play so long together. I did have the chance to leave that seemed to be 'greener' on the other side with being asked to play on the Junior Olympic team. I cried because I wanted to do it yet I would be letting 11 other girls, my sisters, down. My parent allowed me to make the decision. I turned it down. I was COMMITTED. It's quite different here out in KS I tell ya. My kid is on a different team every year it seems. I've seen kids not show up to practice and get to play an entire tournament while another girl with the passion in her heart for this game is sitting the bench at least 2 -3 innings a game. I wish I could give my kid what I had.
Lizard71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lizard71 For This Useful Post:
BC99 (07-29-2016), Catcher05 (07-29-2016), RCSBCOACH68 (07-29-2016), thirdcatcher (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016   #34
Pop Rocks

Pop Rocks is on a distinguished road

I never want my dd to feel like she will always have a spot just for paying and showing up. If someone better shows up to tryouts she needs to understand she can be cut. Life is hard, this is not rec ball. Fight for your spot or stay home & play Pokémon go.
Pop Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pop Rocks For This Useful Post:
Kclarry (08-10-2016)
Old 02-15-2017   #35
shirt1951

shirt1951

We always have our players come to tryouts each year. Unless there is a problem with Player attitude, Parent or a real lack of skill we have our returning players come to tryouts. What this does it gives us a benchmark of the players trying out for the team we are not familiar with. We do this for two reasons 1) I helps give us numbers to run all of the drills we need to run and have players that are familiar with those drills, and 2) probably the most important we know the level of skill our returning players will play at and it gives us a gauge of how the player compares to our players current skill set.

If you do not include your current players you may have players that appear to really standout but when you put them next to you returning players they may look pretty average. We believe it helps in the evaluation process.

All players receive numbers and are referred to by number. Also, our players are not allowed to wear any club t-shirts or uniforms.
shirt1951 is offline   Reply With Quote