PGF
Triple Crown Sports
More
High School
College
Kansas City Area, St. Joseph, Lawrence

Latest Kansas City, Missouri, weather

Go Back   KC Fastpitch > Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Tournament HQ: MSP ASA HV/OGSA MSP "C" VIP "C" R-ASA PGF Top Gun Indoor Specialty MO HS

General Discussions General Discussions

» Sponsors

Kansas City Royals Gear at Fanatics.com

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Dirt_Devils

Dirt_Devils is on a distinguished road

Default Kansas City...BRING BACK 10A!

Kansas City...BRING BACK 10A!

Where have all the 10A teams gone? There were plenty in the tryout forum during tryout season. And poof...none ended up registering A. (well, there is one in USSSA...)

There are conflicting division rules between USA/ASA and USSSA...maybe that is why? In USSSA if your tourney doesn't pick up a 10A age group, they will let you play 12B. But in USA/ASA if your tourney doesn't pick up, they require you to play 12A (that's a huge jump). If enough people call and request to make it Open they will...but then the B teams are upset.

This Spring, our 10A team was asked to re-register B in USA/ASA so that we could play 12B when our tournament didn't pick up. WTF...you want us to register down? There were only a couple teams that chose not to register B...good on them, but did it limited their tournament selections? YES.

I'm a big supporter of 10A can play 12B. And 12A can play 14B. After that you should stay at your registered level when playing up since there are no more ball size or pitching distance changes.

Did I mention USA/ASA opened a brand new "Super-C" division? It is for teams that were winning too much in the VIP tourneys. Why not bump them to B? If 10B gets over saturated, then maybe we can get our 10A division back. Seems logical.

I'm just trying to get everyone's opinions. I would love to hear unbiased thoughts from 10u coaches, tourney directors, parents, older team coaches, bring it people!

Grow The Sport,
Coach Steph
President, KC Dirt Devils
www.kcdirtdevils.com
Dirt_Devils is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirt_Devils For This Useful Post:
CoachWade (4 Weeks Ago), gajm (3 Weeks Ago), SSC9 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
jlandewee

jlandewee is on a distinguished road

There are lots of teams playing in the VIP and "C" division that could easily play up - Winning isn't as common for them there but they could still be "competitive" -
jlandewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
CoachAl

CoachAl is on a distinguished road

This should be a fun thread to watch!

I've said for years now it's a big problem when we have 80-120+ teams playing in a C tournament when an A/B tournament the same weekend can't fill.

I was not aware of the super C division (strange) but I'd really like to see USAS try and get a handle on teams registering as C teams. USSSA finally drew a line in the sand with this 3 or 4 seasons back now because they had the same problem. And I agree, if you're a C team, dominating or even placing in C tournaments - MOVE UP!

Compounding this issue - MANY teams (maybe all LOL!) advertise as "A" during tryout time - even brand new teams no one has ever heard of and no history. Well once tryouts are over, these folks realize they barely have enough bodies in jerseys to play, let alone compete in the A division.

Lastly, in order to be a true 10A team you have to have 10A pitchers. That is way easier said then done. In order to develop a 10A pitcher you don't start pitching at 10u, you start the previous season or as early as the player has interest and drive. Then, by the time they get to 10u they know a thing or two! Plus, a very good pitcher can flat out dominate in 10u. It's not a hitter's game just yet! Too many parents and coaches don't even think about pitching until it's time to make the jump to 10u. If we had more pitchers starting earlier we would probably see more 10A teams as well....maybe unless the coach wants to play C and brag about the plastic trophy!
CoachAl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CoachAl For This Useful Post:
CoachWade (4 Weeks Ago), Dirt_Devils (4 Weeks Ago), kcprk (4 Weeks Ago), Originals-Self (4 Weeks Ago), SSC9 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
ksusouthpaw

ksusouthpaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachAl View Post
This should be a fun thread to watch!

I've said for years now it's a big problem when we have 80-120+ teams playing in a C tournament when an A/B tournament the same weekend can't fill.

I was not aware of the super C division (strange) but I'd really like to see USAS try and get a handle on teams registering as C teams. USSSA finally drew a line in the sand with this 3 or 4 seasons back now because they had the same problem. And I agree, if you're a C team, dominating or even placing in C tournaments - MOVE UP!

Compounding this issue - MANY teams (maybe all LOL!) advertise as "A" during tryout time - even brand new teams no one has ever heard of and no history. Well once tryouts are over, these folks realize they barely have enough bodies in jerseys to play, let alone compete in the A division.

Lastly, in order to be a true 10A team you have to have 10A pitchers. That is way easier said then done. In order to develop a 10A pitcher you don't start pitching at 10u, you start the previous season or as early as the player has interest and drive. Then, by the time they get to 10u they know a thing or two! Plus, a very good pitcher can flat out dominate in 10u. It's not a hitter's game just yet! Too many parents and coaches don't even think about pitching until it's time to make the jump to 10u. If we had more pitchers starting earlier we would probably see more 10A teams as well....maybe unless the coach wants to play C and brag about the plastic trophy!
Super C sounds dumb to me. I'm sure there are valid reasons for it, but it looks to me like we are creating the path of least resistance for kids.
If a team is not ready to experience losses - even losses fairly consistently - then they are not ready to play competitive competition. Sometimes you learn the most when you get your butt kicked a little bit. You find out a lot more about kids, parents and coaches after a loss than a victory, in my opinion.

I would rather have my kid's team be .500 at the highest level they are ready to play, than be .750 in a lower division.

Agree on the postings for tryouts, but what also is funny is that parents signed up for their kids to tryout for an A team and are also just fine playing another division.

On the pitching comment, I think you only need 10A pitching as it compares to other 10A teams. If a team is competing with the top teams in 10B and there are 15 teams in that division that should move up, then if they all move up, that team will continue to compete well in 10A simply because their competition will not change. Teams don't all of a sudden become Olympic caliber simply because they have an A behind their age division. At the end of the day 10A, 10B, 10C and 10 Super C are all just a bunch of 10 year old girls.

Last edited by ksusouthpaw; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:47 PM.
ksusouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ksusouthpaw For This Useful Post:
Dirt_Devils (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
kcyankee78

kcyankee78 is on a distinguished road

I think its simple... Just as there are a lack of "A" teams at 10's there is a lack of "A" coaching at 10's. When teams register at a certain level (no matter the age group) that lets me know how good the coaching/commitment is. So... if they are only registering "B" and "C" then let them stay at that level...It's not anyones fault what level they can handle. Sometimes you just DONT KNOW certain things at certain levels. Or we would all be college coaches. At least they are telling them up front what level they're going to register. They could be selling "A" or even "Gold" dreams to you.
I think Jermey and the MSP staff will do a great job this year at splitting everyone up.
kcyankee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
CMoppin

CMoppin is on a distinguished road

I'm one of the teams trying to get A to come back. My niece had to move to 12s this year. But some many of her past tourneys were cancelled because the same 3 10A teams were in it.

I had a 10C team last year. They did very well. Got in a few B tourneys and quickly realized my girls simply needed more after they played in a B tourney. I currently have a post out for 10 A/B. I want it to come back. These girls need the push to be successful in the long run

KCLADYEAGLES07@gmail.com

913-226-9989
CMoppin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMoppin For This Useful Post:
Dirt_Devils (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Dirt_Devils

Dirt_Devils is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMoppin View Post
I'm one of the teams trying to get A to come back. My niece had to move to 12s this year. But some many of her past tourneys were cancelled because the same 3 10A teams were in it.

I had a 10C team last year. They did very well. Got in a few B tourneys and quickly realized my girls simply needed more after they played in a B tourney. I currently have a post out for 10 A/B. I want it to come back. These girls need the push to be successful in the long run
YYYEEESSS!!! I have been talking to Casey B about forming a committee to help aid in classification. Hopefully with enough comments on this post, we can really get it going!

More than anything it takes the 10C and 10B coaches to do it...if you are having success in your division, then move up! The 10A division will only grow if coaches believe it will, and then set the standard for the years after. It's not because there aren't enough teams, we just need to classify with more intention.
Dirt_Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
jd1

jd1

Not that long ago, there was no 10b division. You were either A or C. I feel like the b division has taken the entire age group down a notch or two. Yes, there were some lopsided games, but the girls learned a ton and improved very quickly.
jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Coach Brandon

Coach Brandon is on a distinguished road

I completely agree with what's being stated, but don't really have a good solution. We're a 1st year 10C team that took some lumps at the beginning of the season, but by June/July started winning more games than we were losing and knew we needed to start testing the water in "B" or "Open" tournaments.

In July, an opposing coach cautioned us not to re-classify our team to 10B status due to the limited number of tournaments we would be able to play in or being cancelled without enough teams.

So our 1st tournament this fall, we registered in a 10Open tournament and won. This weekend's tournament, we registered in the 10B side as a 10C team. The tournament director contacted us Tuesday and stated the "B" division was going to be cancelled as there were only (3) teams entered. He stated because we were a 10C registered team, we had the option of playing on the 10C side. It's not my 1st choice, but I don't want to cancel the weekend for the girls as they're looking forward to playing. But the rules are (5) runs per inning, no stealing home, no dropped 3's. I believe these rules are great for VIP and beginning teams, but I think our team is more sharp/successful when we play by the full rules.

If there were 20-30 current 10C teams that have been successful this year and would want to make the jump to 10B, we would definitely be on-board and re-register. This would ensure there would be enough 10B teams each week to field a 10B division.

Another rough possibility: If the top (2) 10C placing teams each Sunday had to re-register as a 10B, then we would also start filling out the B division quickly. If they found awful success at 10B for over a month, they could possibly be reclassified as a 10C.

Funny, at the end of August I looked into how teams were classified at 10U as opposed to 14U

10A = 5 teams
10B = 12
10C = 51 (wow)

14A = 20 teams
14B = 33
14C = 23

I don't know the correct answer and apologize for the long response, but this is also something I've talked a lot about with other Coaches/Parents/Neighbors/City Councilmen/Priests/etc. LOL.

Seriously, if a bunch of us moved up to 10B in order to play by the full rules, The Golden Girls would completely be on-board.

Steph, thanks for bringing this up as it's a real issue.

Thanks,
Brandon Ackley
The Golden Girls - Raymore
Coach Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coach Brandon For This Useful Post:
Dirt_Devils (3 Weeks Ago), KCShockAA (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
ksusouthpaw

ksusouthpaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Brandon View Post
I completely agree with what's being stated, but don't really have a good solution. We're a 1st year 10C team that took some lumps at the beginning of the season, but by June/July started winning more games than we were losing and knew we needed to start testing the water in "B" or "Open" tournaments.

In July, an opposing coach cautioned us not to re-classify our team to 10B status due to the limited number of tournaments we would be able to play in or being cancelled without enough teams.

So our 1st tournament this fall, we registered in a 10Open tournament and won. This weekend's tournament, we registered in the 10B side as a 10C team. The tournament director contacted us Tuesday and stated the "B" division was going to be cancelled as there were only (3) teams entered. He stated because we were a 10C registered team, we had the option of playing on the 10C side. It's not my 1st choice, but I don't want to cancel the weekend for the girls as they're looking forward to playing. But the rules are (5) runs per inning, no stealing home, no dropped 3's. I believe these rules are great for VIP and beginning teams, but I think our team is more sharp/successful when we play by the full rules.

If there were 20-30 current 10C teams that have been successful this year and would want to make the jump to 10B, we would definitely be on-board and re-register. This would ensure there would be enough 10B teams each week to field a 10B division.

Another rough possibility: If the top (2) 10C placing teams each Sunday had to re-register as a 10B, then we would also start filling out the B division quickly. If they found awful success at 10B for over a month, they could possibly be reclassified as a 10C.

Funny, at the end of August I looked into how teams were classified at 10U as opposed to 14U

10A = 5 teams
10B = 12
10C = 51 (wow)

14A = 20 teams
14B = 33
14C = 23

I don't know the correct answer and apologize for the long response, but this is also something I've talked a lot about with other Coaches/Parents/Neighbors/City Councilmen/Priests/etc. LOL.

Seriously, if a bunch of us moved up to 10B in order to play by the full rules, The Golden Girls would completely be on-board.

Steph, thanks for bringing this up as it's a real issue.

Thanks,
Brandon Ackley
The Golden Girls - Raymore
Isn't the easiest way to fix it is to stop offering so many C tournaments? Turn the table and make it difficult for C teams to find tournaments and offer more tournaments where A and B are the only options? Then, if you want to play, you play, even if you are registered C. You don't have to mandate who is what division, but you can mandate what divisions play when.
ksusouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksusouthpaw For This Useful Post:
Dirt_Devils (3 Weeks Ago), kcyankee78 (4 Weeks Ago), SSC9 (4 Weeks Ago)