PGF
Triple Crown Sports
More
High School
College
Kansas City Area, St. Joseph, Lawrence

Latest Kansas City, Missouri, weather

Go Back   KC Fastpitch > Discussion Forums > Recruiting Discussions

Tournament HQ: MSP ASA HV/OGSA MSP "C" VIP "C" R-ASA PGF Top Gun Indoor Specialty MO HS

» Sponsors

Kansas City Royals Gear at Fanatics.com

Old 08-12-2017   #1
doc4talent

doc4talent is on a distinguished road

Default Some get it, some don't!

In reading through so many of the posts on the recruitment forum, I am encouraged that their are those who understand not only the process, but also the time and persistence needed to successfully sell yourself. I love reading stories like albob's post. Not only does the athlete understand the process now, but she remains grateful. Good luck to you at Evangel.
Before I started reading though I was admittedly looking more from the desire to read posts by those who don't get it. It never shocks me anymore to hear complaints from multiple parents about coaches who aren't doing their job, simply because their daughter hasn't been given offers or the offers she wants.
I have had many discussions with coaches over the years and have quite frankly instructed them to be honest, open and blunt in questioning parents who have brought up this very topic. While remaining as diplomatic as possible, coaches need to be as impartial as possible and discuss the athletes talent level. Parents also need to know that coaches need to be honest with college coaches as well so as not to ruin a possible relationship that could benefit many other athletes in the future. Overselling an athlete is the quickest way to destroy trust with a university program. I have seen it far to many times. Suggesting things that need work on the field is a good option and possibly recommending the athlete would be better suited for a D2 or naia school. Good recruiters or recruitment organizations have a plethora of relationships with colleges, coaches and even athletic directors. I have pulled them in before to do an honest assessment when a parent simply won't take off the rose colored glasses. I know that is tough conversation to have but parents and athletes alike deserve and need to hear these assessments. Secondly, and I will put this first person so I can take the heat, These are questions I will ask.
What programs are you interested in?
Have you emailed them and expressed interest in their program?
Did you send them your schedule?
Have you followed up with them?
Have you inquired about their camps or attended them. If so, did you email ahead of time and follow up afterward?
These are just a few things athletes and parents need to do to start the process. In many cases they have been told this yet insist on believing their child will be one of the lucky ones that is discovered at a tournament by a passing coach. So many families join an organization that travels and participates in exposures and simply expect the process to unfold before their very eyes.
It DOES NOT WORK that way very often. Though you read stories, it is a rarity that a coach stumble on a player during a tournament and poof, it all starts.
I know coaches who have actually gone as far as writing letters for their athletes, which in my book is counterproductive in the teaching process. While by age they are still "kids", they are at the age to learn that mom, dad and coach aren't going to do everything for you anymore. My suggestion to coaches would be simply to encourage their athletes to take on the recruiting process and offer advice and instruction. The reward will come when the college coach calls the club coach for more information.
Bottom line is getting recruited isn't easy. It is time consuming and sometimes painful. Even when using a recruiter on your behalf the lion share of the work will be on the athletes shoulders. But for parents to shovel the blame on coaches for not having multiple offers or any at all is a shame. parents who fall in this category......blame yourself, get over it.....start working the system one school at a time and remain persistent. If your daughter has the talent and drive, grades and demeanor, and will simply take the initiative to approach the schools with emails, visits and camps, her chances of recruitment go up exponentially!
Unfortunately as well, parents who take this blame angle are often the parents who complain about many other things and can be a drag on the team. You all know them if you have been around the comp. softball for any length of time.
Good luck to all in pursuit of their dreams. Go make it happen, If anyone promises to make it happen for you with guarantees, Run as fast as you can.
As an athlete, you are your best recruitment tool. Use it well.
Good luck to all. Nothing worth having comes without work.
God Bless and best wishes,
Doc W.

P.S. All this and I never mentioned grades. Do you homework and study young ladies. If you don't have the grades all this work is senseless!
doc4talent is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doc4talent For This Useful Post:
kcprk (08-12-2017), sc7287 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017   #2
ddluvssoftball

ddluvssoftball is on a distinguished road

Smile Some get it, some don't

I SECOND THAT!!! Excellent post and full of truth!!! Been saying this and got crazy looks. I guess I was talking to the ones that don't get it!
ddluvssoftball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddluvssoftball For This Useful Post:
sc7287 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017   #3
sc7287

sc7287

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4talent View Post
In reading through so many of the posts on the recruitment forum, I am encouraged that their are those who understand not only the process, but also the time and persistence needed to successfully sell yourself. I love reading stories like albob's post. Not only does the athlete understand the process now, but she remains grateful. Good luck to you at Evangel.
Before I started reading though I was admittedly looking more from the desire to read posts by those who don't get it. It never shocks me anymore to hear complaints from multiple parents about coaches who aren't doing their job, simply because their daughter hasn't been given offers or the offers she wants.
I have had many discussions with coaches over the years and have quite frankly instructed them to be honest, open and blunt in questioning parents who have brought up this very topic. While remaining as diplomatic as possible, coaches need to be as impartial as possible and discuss the athletes talent level. Parents also need to know that coaches need to be honest with college coaches as well so as not to ruin a possible relationship that could benefit many other athletes in the future. Overselling an athlete is the quickest way to destroy trust with a university program. I have seen it far to many times. Suggesting things that need work on the field is a good option and possibly recommending the athlete would be better suited for a D2 or naia school. Good recruiters or recruitment organizations have a plethora of relationships with colleges, coaches and even athletic directors. I have pulled them in before to do an honest assessment when a parent simply won't take off the rose colored glasses. I know that is tough conversation to have but parents and athletes alike deserve and need to hear these assessments. Secondly, and I will put this first person so I can take the heat, These are questions I will ask.
What programs are you interested in?
Have you emailed them and expressed interest in their program?
Did you send them your schedule?
Have you followed up with them?
Have you inquired about their camps or attended them. If so, did you email ahead of time and follow up afterward?
These are just a few things athletes and parents need to do to start the process. In many cases they have been told this yet insist on believing their child will be one of the lucky ones that is discovered at a tournament by a passing coach. So many families join an organization that travels and participates in exposures and simply expect the process to unfold before their very eyes.
It DOES NOT WORK that way very often. Though you read stories, it is a rarity that a coach stumble on a player during a tournament and poof, it all starts.
I know coaches who have actually gone as far as writing letters for their athletes, which in my book is counterproductive in the teaching process. While by age they are still "kids", they are at the age to learn that mom, dad and coach aren't going to do everything for you anymore. My suggestion to coaches would be simply to encourage their athletes to take on the recruiting process and offer advice and instruction. The reward will come when the college coach calls the club coach for more information.
Bottom line is getting recruited isn't easy. It is time consuming and sometimes painful. Even when using a recruiter on your behalf the lion share of the work will be on the athletes shoulders. But for parents to shovel the blame on coaches for not having multiple offers or any at all is a shame. parents who fall in this category......blame yourself, get over it.....start working the system one school at a time and remain persistent. If your daughter has the talent and drive, grades and demeanor, and will simply take the initiative to approach the schools with emails, visits and camps, her chances of recruitment go up exponentially!
Unfortunately as well, parents who take this blame angle are often the parents who complain about many other things and can be a drag on the team. You all know them if you have been around the comp. softball for any length of time.
Good luck to all in pursuit of their dreams. Go make it happen, If anyone promises to make it happen for you with guarantees, Run as fast as you can.
As an athlete, you are your best recruitment tool. Use it well.
Good luck to all. Nothing worth having comes without work.
God Bless and best wishes,
Doc W.

P.S. All this and I never mentioned grades. Do you homework and study young ladies. If you don't have the grades all this work is senseless!
Well said!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
sc7287 is offline   Reply With Quote